Sunday, March 01, 2009

Eadie's First Hike~

Today was Eadie's first hike.

I took her to the Joshua Ranch trailhead to see how she would do on the trail. Seamus and Augie came along with their usual pre-hike excitement.

After several minutes in the car, Eadie threw up. Since she threw up the last two times I've taken her in the car, I am getting the sense that Eadie throws up in the car. This does not bode well for a dog that is supposed to be my newest hiking companion. In order to be my hiking companion, she has to travel in the car because that is how we get to the trails.

Eadie didn't know what to make of all the new smells. The uphill portion of the early hike bothered her and she didn't like her new harness.

After about 20 minutes, Eadie had an encounter with a stink bug. This did not go well for her. The stink bug scurried away while Eadie shook her head a lot and began sneezing.

A few minutes later, I gave the dogs some water. After politely waiting her turn, Eadie proceeded to empty the water bowl and look up at me for more. I poured more water and she drank that too. Five minutes later, she threw up.

Hiking is a new experience for Eadie and she is not in shape for it. The dog was a trooper and didn't complain or flop down under a bush the way Seamus does when he thinks it's time to rest. But I did not sense a love of the great outdoors emanating from Eadie and I don't believe I saw her smile. She ignored the wildlife after the stink bug incident.

After an hour and a half, we finished the hike and got in the car to go home. It is an eight minute drive from the trailhead. I cracked windows and opened the sun roof so Eadie could have air.

When we pulled into the driveway, Eadie promptly threw up.

1 comment:

Novel said...

Oh, poor old Eadie...and poor old you because I suppose someone had to clean all that up. Ew!


(P.S. Hope you don't mind me leaving comments. I seem to be the only one, although I know I'm not the only one reading.)