Friday, November 13, 2015

Not Like That!

Benny is a five-year old with charisma. The girls in the class just adore him. One of them is pressing him for a commitment, telling him that their relationship is "meant to be" and that she intends to marry him. They sit together on the classroom rug. She holds his arm and looks at him adoringly while he tries to act cool and not too interested. Benny tells his parents that many girls like him and that it is "so hard to choose." His "meant to be" girl decided yesterday that she and Benny needed to sit next to each other during snack. Staking claim, she pecked him on the cheek and one of our classroom assistants reminded her that she should keep her lips to herself. "But I LIKE him," she replied, quite upset at being challenged. She and Benny are, after all, "meant to be." Exasperated, Benny spoke up. "She likes me," to which the assistant replied, "Well… it is nice to have people like us. It makes us all happy." Benny shook his head. "She likes me the way my mom likes my dad and I don't like it!"

No comments: