Saturday, November 17, 2007

A Ratly Visitor


Here I am on a Thursday night, minding my own beeswax sitting at the computer checking my eMail.

I hear scuffling and clawing in the kitchen. I am used to this, so I don't think too much about it. Dogs will be dogs. They scuffle and claw around in the kitchen.

Then, I hear the barstool moving, as if one of the dogs is trying to climb up. This IS a bit odd, since they prefer the couch.

The barstool continues to move and at least one of the dogs starts barking. Now I am really suspicious and I get up from the computer.

The kitchen light is off when I climb over the baby gate to see what the ruckus is about. I can see that the outlines of all four dogs, attempting to climb on the barstool, which is being moved around the tile floor. The cat is crouched right near the edge of the kitchen island - he is growling. The last time I heard Otis growling was around 1995. So my curiosity is piqued.

I switch on the light.

Dear GAWD in heaven as I sit here typing, perched ON TOP of the barstool back support, balancing on about 1/2 inch slick surface, is a large gray rat.

The dogs are going nuts and the cat is licking his chops, certain that God is Good and cat prayers ARE answered.

Sensing that danger is eminent, the rat is frantically looking for safety. His back is wet - the telltale sign of dog slobber. His tail is mere centimeters away from Augie's jaws and Augie is NOT giving up lightly. The cat is giving Augie the evil eye as he crouches low and begins swishing his tail. He may like Augie most of the time but I think Otis will go to battle for a chance at RAT.

Instinctively, I put my hand out to cup the rat, who scurries up my arm and rests on my shoulder. I reach up and cup him in my hands. I get the sense that he is somebody's pet because he is very docile - frightened but not aggressive.

I am not sure how he got in - I have a feeling one of the dogs got a hold of him. He must have been in the back yard, but how did he get there? Is he somebody's pet? Are they aware he's gone? Since he lacks a collar and tag, it's anybody's guess.

I put him in one of the extra snake enclosures with some water and dry dog and cat food. (I don't know what he prefers.)

Right now, the dogs are on point and burning calories. The cat is languidly spread out on the top of the enclosure - just biding his time. He is none too pleased that Nirvana is less than a foot away. So near and yet so far. (Patience, thy name is CAT.)

The rat is surveying, twitching his whiskers. He has very dark eyes and a very long tail. I think he wants to keep them.

I am going to compose a sign for the local mailboxes:

Missing a Rat?

Do I post a picture or ask the owner to call and describe?

And I STILL haven't checked all my eMail yet.

1 comment:

Paulie said...

Gosh, I thought I had replied to both of these last posts. . . must be internet comment thieves. i said something about you being brave --I could not pick up a mouse. I think you are nuts! Ü