Friday, November 30, 2007

Missing: One Chihuahua Terrorist


It's been odd these past few mornings, waking up without Bobby wrapped around my neck and leaping from bed in a single bound in order to start his doggy day. It was strange coming home these past few evenings without the chihuahua greeting me with such excitement that he would nip me in the butt if I didn't pet him RIGHT NOW.

This morning Duke was attached to me, following me around the kitchen and watching my every move. I don't know if he misses Bobby, but he is moping around and very subdued since Bobby died. Augie and Seamus are the same way, although neither one of them bothered to get up with me this morning, only Duke.

Sometimes I wonder when people tell me they don't have dogs for just this reason - they don't want to hurt when they die. This makes me consider again the old saying about loving and losing or not loving at all. As bad as it hurt to lose Kody, Max, and now Bobby, I have to say I am richer for having had them in my life.

I love all animals and always have - even though I was never allowed many as a child. Only one cat - Tabatha.

I cried over my first animal story when I was around 8 or 9 and my dad gave me his copy of My Friend Flicka. I remember wailing in abject sorrow when I thought Flicka was dead and my dad yelled from the other room to "just keep reading!"

I read Where the Red Fern GrowsAFTER my 6th grade teacher read it aloud to us. I was in agony and wept bitterly when Big Dan and Little Ann died - and haven't been able to read the story since.

Dogs and cats love you absolutely, without any agenda. They are so guileless and so devoted - how can you not fall completely in love with them and want to give them a happy life?

I had Bobby for such a short time but he was loved enough for a lifetime, I think. I pray that "the cutest puppy in town" knew he was loved and that he mattered in a world where people abandon devoted pets as if they were nothing more than old tires or food wrappers.

I miss Bobby and pray there is a heaven so I can wake up some morning and find him wrapped around my neck, ready to leap off the bed and begin his doggy day.

3 comments:

Susan/SC said...

Kim, I'm so sorry to hear that Bobby died. I had to reread it a few times thinking I must have misunderstood - I thought he was just a puppy. Your blog was a beautiful memorial. Take care - Susan/SC

Paulie said...

I already said what I wanted in an email to you . . . I jsut wanted to add that I am glad you finally blogged about Bobby. {{{{{{{{{{Kim}}}}}}}}}}

Charla said...

I am sorry about your losing Bobby.
Our family went through this just this past summer, when we lost our beloved "Doodlebug". She was an adorable Boston Terrier. She was 11.
She died of cancer. I hope that when my time on this earth is over, I'll be greeted by that little pup that we loved so much.

rsok/charla