Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Chomp Marks

I am working in my classroom today, puttering around and cleaning up areas that usually get wiped down and organized about twice a year.

In cleaning up my easel area, I begin organizing my magnetic money and pattern blocks - things the kids had gotten into despite admonitions to the contrary. There is enough dust on the easel shelf to build a new easel. All the magnetic manipulatives are scattered about. So I gather and sort.

Then I notice: My magnetic pennies have CHOMP marks on them. That's right, BITE marks (looking like molars, but I'm not Grissom).

My questions are these:

1. Who did this?

2. Why?

3. Why chomp down on MOST of them and not just a chosen
few?

4. When did this happen - over time or in one sitting?

And here is the scariest one of all...

5. Where was I and what was I doing so as not to notice a
kid trying to eat magnetic money?

Of course, If I ask the kids about this they will claim to have been out of the country at the time it happened. If I press the issue, one of them will blame Diego and the rest of them will chime in with sudden "eye witness" accounts.

If Diego THINKS eating magnetic money is a good idea, he will either agree to the crime or put the event into his long-term memory so he can be sure to sample the pennies when I am not looking.

Skeery.

2 comments:

Paulie said...

Hmmm thought I left a comment on this post. . . maybe I emailed you. Don't remember now. I think you have a creature, not a K kid chomping on those manipulatives!

Thought you were going to join us at rsOK site. . .

Chloe said...

You have Diego and Jenn/GA had Rotney and I had Steven. There is always one every year who will manage to do things that just make you wanna say "HUH?"
Chomping on money.Maybe it smelled good. Or felt good.