Sunday, February 03, 2008

Cat Drool

As Otis's Chief of Staff, I am in charge of his health issues and make all decisions pertaining to his comfort and care. In return, he sits on my lap occasionally and impresses my friends with how "friendly" he can be.

He also throws his entire body down, sideways, across concrete when he sees me and we are sharing concrete space. I would like to think that, like the dogs, he is showing me respect by doing this, but I sense that he is really showing me that HE can throw HIS body down on concrete.

Lately, Otis has been drooling. At least, I think it is drool and not a runny nose. My suspicions were confirmed last week when I heard my husband, the cat's most-favorite person, yell out in digust, "Did you just DROOL on me?"

This got me to pondering WHY the cat is drooling. As a rule, I don't think cats drool. Dogs drool - nothing is beneath their dignity - but cats? I am not thinking it is a normal turn of events.

I am worrying that, after all these years, Otis's lack of oral hygiene has caught up with him and he needs dental work. The dogs get their teeth cleaned regularly but not Otis. It is hard enough to get Otis into his travel crate for shots on a yearly basis. There have been years he has gone without shots because drawing blood from the hands that feed him was preferable to a trip in the CAR in the CRATE. Feline leukemia, parvo, and rabies were preferable to a trip in the CRATE. Not that he understands the nature of disease, but he acts like he does.

Do I feel guilty that, as a pet owner, I have neglected my cat's teeth? Yes. But Otis has sharp claws, a tenacious temperament, and he really, really, hates the CRATE. The path of least resistance was easier and didn't hurt as much.

Otis won't let me examine his teeth without a fight. The rare glimpses I get of his front fangs assure me that they are not show-cat quality. But the drooling has to be coming from somewhere - and I am suspecting that all is not well in his mouth. Plus, and this is a big clue, Otis has terrible breath.

Otis never USED to have bad breath. Rare whiffs near his mouth area have always been rewarded with the pungent aroma of Fancy Feast, never yicky ol' Cat Breath.

I am going to have to call the vet tomorrow and make THE APPOINTMENT. This will most likely be within a week's time - enough time for planning HOW to get him into the CRATE without great bodily harm. All adult members of the house will have to help. We may need to call in neighborly reinforcements.

Or - I can hold out hope that he just has a runny nose.

2 comments:

Paulie said...

I never really owned any pets -- just stray cats when we were growing up. Best of luck taking your cat to the vet.

Mrs. Temple said...

I have a cat that drools - it's actually common in some breeds and indicates that the cat is very content.

However, the bad breath would concern me - good luck with the vet!