Thursday, February 14, 2008

Missing: One Voice

I am staying home today, on orders from my colleagues and principal. I have been sick with this virus that is bringing down about half the school and local population and I just can't seem to shake it. Other people shake it. But I am not shaking it. It is shaking ME.

The symptoms are varied and they take turns being prominent from day to day. The sore throat usually lays low, but for several days in the past week, it has been at the forefront, making swallowing and eating difficult.

The coughing joined the symptom group around Sunday. This I could have done without. Coughing encourages the aching, which goes along with the fever and sore muscles.

Every morning I have to check around the bed to make sure I haven't coughed up any necessary body parts, whole or in chunks. My cursory knowledge of human anatomy tells me I might need them - if not sooner, then later.

This morning, I awoke with no voice. This became apparent when the brown dog, relieved that I was FINALLY awake, began his usual face-kissing routine. I had no voice to order him OFF me. I finally had to fling his rather dense and beefy weinie-dog butt off the bed so that I could get up.

If I try really hard, using deep breathing and strong exhaling, I can croak out a voice that will last for 4-6 phonemes before giving way to the hoarse and vague whisper that has become my verbal communication for today.

The cough is also nasty in that it makes my muscles sore - I hurt in the core area and lower back from trying to bring up my left lung. Fortunately, the left lung is fastened securely in place and doesn't come up too easily.

Last night I finally slept most of the night. I think it was because I was dead tired and so achy I fell into bed after Jeopardy! ended didn't wake up until 10:45am, much to Seamus's relief.

I always feel guilty missing work. But word of my suffering made it around campus and finally, somebody took action. I went into the lounge for some coffee after my lunch, and found the entire third grade team, the custodial staff, the reading coach, and one of the Instructional Assistants staging an Intervention. Not only did they call me in sick and order me home, they went, enMasse, to see Ann and tell her I could not take her home and that one of THEM would be doing that duty. Then they went to the principal, who actually came by the classroom to reiterate the order.

I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Especially since they have all had it or shook it off quickly. Maybe there is collective guilt there, I don't know. But nonetheless - I feel loved. Did I mention warm and fuzzy?

Maybe it's the fever breaking.

Or, maybe I am having a hot flash.

2 comments:

Chloe said...

We have it,too. One good thing is that you can eat anything you want, since you will upchuck it right up. Rest assured, your lungs will stay anchored inside you. You WILL however start coughing up some nasty looking stuff in a day or too.

The good news is that this too will pass and you can tell people about it for YEARS.

Paulie said...

Sorry to hear that you wee so sick and missed Valentine's Day with your kiddos. I hope you are on the road to mending. Sounds like you have some nice staff there!