Thursday, April 10, 2008

Food Fight~


Today, when the kids were finishing up Group Time, I let them play for about 10 minutes while we finished up a few things. I walked over to the rug area and noticed that several students had dumped ALL the classroom beads onto the metal trays we use for magnetic letters. Every single bead in the classroom - mini-beads used for stringing and patterning, beads used for counting and sorting, and the larger beads used at the beginning of the year.

"Yikes," I said, "what are you all doing?"

"Making food!" replied Alyssa.

"Yeah," said Jason with way too much enthusiasm, "we're COOKING... making food!"

Several other kids nodded in agreement, happily pretending to mix, stir, and allocate portions.

"Okay," I said, "But this mess will have to be cleaned up as soon as I get back from the restroom."

They nodded their assent and continued to "make food."

"Don't burn anything," I warned as I left.

Five minutes later, I returned to the classroom. Mrs. Aguilar was standing at the rug area, hands on her hips, looking very unhappy. My parent volunteer was shaking her head and the student assistant was hiding her face in her hands, trying to control her laughter. There were beads EVERYWHERE, all over the place. They were under the tables, in the workroom, strewn about the rug, and scattered in all directions.

"What happened?" I asked.

Jason and Alyssa answered with much excitement.

"FOOD FIGHT!"

3 comments:

Chloe said...

snort-snort! You have just gotta love those kinders, doncha? Food fight!

Paulie said...

Don't you know that you are never to leave Kindergartners? hehehehe

At least, they are creative! You must have taught them something! Thats a vignette to go home in a newsletter or their memory book.

Jen said...

Oh, Kim... I have quite a few chefs in my room, too! I've given up trying to sort beads, magnets, letter tiles, bingo chips, and various other small pieces of plastic into their original containers. I'll let them keep cooking for a few more weeks and then work on it over the summer!