Saturday, April 05, 2008

So many books, so few shelves...


Today is the day I promised myself that I would organize my books and find places for the piles that have somehow sprung up around my house.

I am not sure how this happened, but there are books in many places where books don't generally hang out. This has occurred over time - a matter of days, and weeks, and months. I will admit that several trips to Barnes and Noble, armed with gift cards, have contributed to this local diaspora of the written word.

There are, however, problems with just putting the books away. I like my books organized by genre and author. I have become lazy during the past few years with reshelving the titles I pull for this purpose and that - and my system is not as svelte and delineated as I like. So, in order to add the bevy of new books to the library, I have to find my system and start repairs.

Complicating matters is the fact that Dustin's college texts now constitute their own shelf, but they haven't been placed with my college texts, and this creates dichotomy and divisiveness. It bothers me every time I look at it.

Another problem involves my family pictures. When I first arranged the framed photographs, there were places for all of them and the effect was aesthetically pleasing. But as I began shelving new titles, the pictures got rearranged. Now they look crunched and uncomfortable, which was not what I had in mind when I carefully placed them.

Bookshelves are for books, not knick-knacks or bric-a-brac. It is fine to have a framed photo here and there, if there is room, but it simply doesn't DO to have the visages of treasured family members scrunched in among the books - as if I were trying to find a place for them.

When Dan installed the latest set of bookshelves for me, I happily placed the pictures and they looked okay. Not fine, not wonderful, but okay. It was a temporary arrangement because I knew it was only a matter of time before books would take over, kind of like crab grass and wisteria.

The walls hold photographs, artfully arranged. But with the addition of more books, their days of hanging around in here are numbered. Too many frames on the wall and the room begins to look cluttered.

I may need more bookshelves. It is only a matter of time. I am thinking that construction, to expand this room eastward, may be in order. In the meantime, I may have to canvas the house for the placement of possible book annexes.

2 comments:

Paulie said...

I used to have ten (10) bookshelves alone for books but now that I have given grand daughter who is a new teacher, many of my teaching resources, I have room for nick knacks I collect. (I also gave away two of the bookshelves to a poor family.)Where else would all my snowmen go?

I love reading your blog but I often wonder why you have never left a comment at mine. . .

Unknown said...

Shelves are multi purpose and come in different materials. These are many shelving that are cost effective found at the hardware store. That’s true by installing shelving inside your closet you are opening up new possibilities to keep it orderly.