Saturday, April 05, 2008

Visualizing Victoria~

I am happy to report that I have finally talked with Victoria. This lovely young lady has been Dustin's girlfriend for quite awhile now, but I have only seen her in fleeting flashes or heard her laughter as they visited in the next room.

In the old days, when people came to visit, they would come to the door and knock. Then whoever was closest to the door would open it and exchange pleasantries while the intended recipient of the visitor gathered thoughts, straighted hair, and tucked in clothing.

I guess that was BD - Before Dogs. Dogs have a tendency to loudly announce visitors at the door and then carry on for some time afterwards, each demanding to be acknowledged, petted, and admired. Sometimes belly rubs are called for - and this really elongates the "entrance" and makes a lot of noise.

So, Victoria calls from her car and Dustin does the old O.J. Simpson ad, leaping and bounding through the house to let her in before the dogs have her arrival figured out. Sometimes it works, but these aren't hound dogs for nothing.

I have "met" Victoria, of course, but only in passing. I think each encounter involved me wearing my pajamas and working furiously at something on the computer while she looked like a deer in the headlights. I guess I am THAT intimidating. Especially if my jammy top doesn't match my jammy bottoms. It has been known to happen.

So, the other night, I finally get to talk to Victoria the Dancer and Speaker of Russian. What to say when you find out that somebody is a dancer and speaker of Russian? Something stupid - like, "Gosh, I have been wanting to teach my kids how to dance but I am SO not a dancer." How lame, and made worse by Dustin saying, "What are you saying, Mom?" (No, not that I want Victoria to teach my kids dancing. AS IF the girl has any spare time at all.)

And the Russian? Heck, that is quite the feat. The Russians use an entirely different alphabet. I know because I get SPAM from cyrillic-writing people all the time. They must be under the impression that I speak it, read it, write it, and spend money in it. Otherwise, why would I get it?

So I admired her prowess with dancing and her tenacity with her studies and the speaking of Russian. I also admired the ability to pronounce those pesky Russian names and read those feather-light tomes of Russian literature.

Last night, Dustin and Victoria went to the ballet. She actually convinced him that was an endeavor worth his time and energy. He bought a new sweater and wore coordinating VANS.

I was very proud.

2 comments:

Paulie said...

And what a beauty she is! Son isn't half bad either. . . Ü

Katney said...

I can sound out Russian.

It jsuu goes to illustrate that as awesome as phonics is, you need comprehension as well.