Thursday, May 15, 2008

Jordan's Bad Day~

There comes a time in each teacher's life for writing a letter home to parents. Today, I had to write a letter to Jordan's parents. Below is a copy.

Dear Jordan's Parents,

Jordan had a bad day today. I am writing because this was a really bad day. Normally, I would have sent Jordan to the office and the principal would have contacted you, but I have reached the point in the school year with Jordan that I need to try something different.

During Group Time we have 4-5 activities. Today, one of those choices was the completion of a May calendar. The children were asked to fill in the dates, which they could copy from our class calendar. They had to mark two upcoming events and then color the flowers if they wished. This is good numeral practice and good for vocabulary development. We also practice patterning because the students color the date boxes to match the pattern for the current month.

Jordan didn’t want to do it. He made this perfectly clear from the minute he ran from the bathroom and did a perfect slide into home base. He flipped around on the floor, did a headstand and a back flip. Had I been grading for P.E., I’d give those maneuvers an 8.1. Then played with his friends – who somehow managed to finish.

Jordan chose not to complete the work during recess or lunchtime. He managed to bang his head against the wall (check for bruises), roll on the floor, visit the restroom several times, fall of his chair, and sit in the recycling bin.

None of this helped him to finish the calendar.

He stabbed his shoes repeatedly with classroom pencils. Luckily for me, we have a pencil sharpener.

Jordan is fine example of stubbornness in action. Hopefully this will pay off in the future when he goes to college. In the meantime, please help him complete the calendar. I am enclosing the original work for you to admire.

Please sign the completed calendar and return it to me.

Thank you for your continued support. School is out in 11 days. I send my condolences.



Sincerely,

Jordan's Kindergarten Teacher

2 comments:

Paulie said...

Is that all? hehehehehe

Chloe said...

THAT'S a letter to keep. 11 days, right? You can do that (standing on your head!)