Saturday, May 05, 2007

Into the World: A Kindergarten Field Trip


After much soul-searching and consternation, I took my kinders on a field trip yesterday to the Placerita Nature Center.

I really had to think about it because many of my students, despite my constant prodding and reminding, have a terrible time with basic listening skills. There are daily problems in the classroom because of this and I am usually the picture of patience and good teaching - giving them many experiences and opportunities to practice these skills as they develop. But often I consider it an uphill battle - so many of these kids are just shouted at and spoken to in soundbites - they have never been TAUGHT how to listen, to follow directions, to be respectful and obedient.

I resorted to calmly threatening to take the much-anticipated trip away from those who don't follow directions - because it is a matter of safety. The result of this found many of my 'good' kids sitting on the rug or at the table, terrified of doing anything wrong - and I really dislike having to control behavior through fear and intimidation. It just isn't natural in an early childhood setting. I want them to learn how to behave and control their own behavior because it is the right thing to do - but I am often the Lone Ranger in this endeavor because their parents simply do not follow through at home.

As a student and a parent, I hated punishments that affected the whole class when only a few miscreants were really making bad choices - and others were following along because peers tend to be so much more influential than a teacher, at times.

So, I decided to take them after excluding two who I genuinely worried would get eaten by a mountain lion or fall over a cliff or something. They may not have "with it" parents but the loss of these kids would definitely be noticed, tempting as it is to let "natural consequences" be what they may.

The first indication that something is really awry in the lives of most of these kids came on the ride to the freeway. They went ballistic over big trucks, a quarry, a trash truck, another quarry, a cement processing plant, a cement mixer, a row of backhoes, and the California Aqueduct.
Torrean, who was sitting next to me the whole trip, exemplified the excitement of the group when he hollered at the top of his lungs, "OH MY GAWD! A TRASH TRUCK! LOOK GUYS! A TRASH TRUCK! THE TRASH MAN!"

At each of Torry's announcements, the group would go suitably crazy with lots of 'oohs' and 'aaaahs' and cries of delight.

The school is less than 20 minutes from the California Aqueduct - a man-made sluice of water with plenty of mention in California history and the annals of marvelous engineering, a feat made possible by the brilliant mind of William Mullholland. But that means little when, as a child, you've apparently never seen it, much less driven OVER it.

"WATER! OH MY GAWD! WATER!" Torry would announce and the group would respond in kind - as if they spent their whole young lives having never seen a lot of water all in one place and all at one time. Of course, Lake Los Angeles, the little desert community where they live, is actually a dry lake bed. So I guess this makes sense - somewhat.

So this field trip was indeed eductional, but not in the ways I expected. The freeway itself was cause for great excitement - especially when we came head to head with a big truck and they could actually SEE the driver. It is my sincere hope that these drivers appreciated all the waving and shouting that their mere presence on the road inspired in my students. I was quietly annoyed at the drivers who didn't acknowledge the kids or bother to wave. What is wrong with people?

When we exited the freeway and pulled onto the winding mountain road that leads to the nature center, we passed a buffalo ranch. I honestly think a trip to this place would have been better for the kids in hindsight. Suffice to say they've never seen buffalo before.

The nature center is a typical county park, complete with portable bathrooms and these caused unending excitement and delight. Opening and closing the doors, whether or not anybody was actually IN one of them, was great fun. They ALL had to go to the bathroom, of course. Since only three were available, this took quite awhile. Several students refused to actually 'go' once they got inside. The smell and the unending pit was more than they could take.

Our bathroom journey took so long that the other classes got to the actual nature center before we did, so our only choice was a hike. This was fine with me, since I am a hiker and the kids have heard about my hikes all year. In fact, I was downright pleased to be able to take my students on a hike. I have been trying to figure out all year how to have a hike on a Saturday without actually making it into a class trip and alerting the insurance nazi in the district office.

Ethan's dad, one of our chaperones, said he'd been on this trail up Manzanita Mountain before and that it is a good one. I realized later that Ethan's dad regularly takes his kids out into the world so of course this hike "is a good one." But for kids who never see the great outdoors and only know about "hiking" from the pinecones and acorns I bring back to the classroom, this little adventure wasn't "a good one."

So, off we go, the kids running ahead of me with huge excitement. Ethan's group of about 6 boys were off and running, with Ethan shouting encouragement like some cross country coach. The rest of them hung back with me, reticent but hopeful. But after about two minutes, reality struck and many of them began hanging back, fearful.

They cried.

Yes, they cried. They cried because we kept walking UPHILL. They cried because they had to scamper over rocks and actually SCALE this mountain trail. They became terrified when the trail narrowed and they had to KEEP CLIMBING. They cried when we reached the water tower - because they didn't know what it was and this monolithic structure frightened them. Being out of breath frightened them.

Since most of the kids were doing fine and loving the hike, I decided to keep going, thinking the ones affixed to my legs, arms, and backpack would begin to see that nothing bad was going to happen and calm down. One or two did but the second a big rock came into view or they couldn't see ahead to where the group following Ethan's dad was, they cried some more. Gena was certain that Ethan and his friends were "lost" and no amount of reassurance on my part regarding the competency of Ethan's father ameliorated her fears. They were out of sight, so - they were lost and in terrible danger.

Gena's mom was behind me the whole way and I will be gentle and say that poor Gena's mom hasn't had any exercise in a long time. So she, Gena, and Gisela were a ways behind my little clingy group and she was having her own issues just getting the two girls up and over the same rocks and ledges that were terrifying my little group.

I finally decided, after 20 minutes of this, to turn the group around and head down to the picnic area to feed them. With food in their mouths, I reasoned, they would forget this crying nonsense and be ready to go see the animals. I put it mildly to say that Ethan's group was a bit put out by this sudden end to their adventure. I was none too pleased myself. But making the cryers continue when they were obviously so upset seemed to border on child abuse for me. So, we turned around, despite the cries of protest from the group that, Gena was pleased to see, did not vanish and was not lost.

Well, what goes UPhill must go DOWNhill and the cryers quickly recognized this. I managed to get them back down the trail by alternately carrying the crying kids and holding onto their hands and elbows - lifting them up and over and down any and all ledges - which were built into the trail to aid a hiker - but these kids viewed as certain life and death obstacles they had to overcome.

The highlight of the trip was the picnic area - which came equipped with a score of mature oak trees and a foot or more of fallen leaves - they rolled in the leaves for quite awhile after eating, screaming and jumping and running. Obviously, many leaves in one place at one time is an anomoly. Several came to tattle that others had "put leaves in their hair." It was all I could do to keep a straight face.

After seeing the animals, we walked the Ecology Trail, a much gentler version of the earlier hike. No matter. While some of the original cryers were calmer, many continued to affix themselves to my arms and legs and backpack - unimpressed by the flora and fauna along the the little trail. Survival was the only thing on their mind. Blue-bellied lizard? Forget it. Hummingbird Garden? So what. Some flowering plant with an awesome set of prickly seed pods? Fine - but when are we leaving?

Yes, this trip was educational. For the kids, it was an adventure in the big, wide, and scary world. For me, it was the eye-opening realization that what my kids lack does not just revolve around oral language and literacy experiences. They lack life experiences.

And this makes me profoundly sad.

1 comment:

Crazywiccan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.