Friday, May 25, 2007

The New School

For several years now the topic of "the new school" usually evokes snickering and eye-rolling because it's been "all talk and no action." The pundits would fold their arms and say knowingly, "It will never open."

The only thing slower that the release of matching state funds for the building of a school is the relocation of a Mojave Ground Squirrel, who lived there first, hired lawyers, and gave the district a run for the state's money.

When we actually got a date for opening - this last September, which came and went, the pundits laughed that low-laugh chuckle of the all-knowing and repeated, "It'll never open."

Then came declining enrollment.

I think that's the elephant in the livingroom right now. It's a fact rarely discussed and when it is mentioned, it is done so in whispered tones with furtive glances. "Don't we have declining enrollment? Why are we opening a school with declining enrollment? Doesn't the Board say we have no money? How can we open a school if we don't have any money?"

But what do we know. What do the crossed-armed pundits know, really? We are only teachers. We have trouble with the copy machine. We forget to dial 9 first and we aren't allowed to laminate things.

Will there be a cafeteria? No. How about a library? No. An office? Don't think so. How about a playground? Will tricycles ride on dirt? Will there be water in the classrooms? And how do I know any of these things? Secondhand, thirdhand - from the pundits.

If we were opening a charter school and planning things from the ground up, I would be excited. I would feel a part of something. But so far, the meetings to plan have been opened only to "invited" attendees and I don't make the short list.

I drove by the new school site today and noticed that a bus driveway has been graded. It is a semi-circular thing that looks like 2 buses will fit in it at the same time, end to end. I guess one could squeeze in 3 buses if one hangs out onto the road, or if all the buses are short buses. But really - is it wise to go work in a school that is only serviced by "short" buses?

I volunteered to go to the new school out of respect and consideration for 2 of my colleagues, who really did not want to go. My 3rd colleague is retiring, so I assumed her replacement would go - with me. I found out today that only one teacher from our site has to go - so naturally I asked if I could stay - since the replacement teacher should go.

I was told no - I have to go. Staffing issues make it impossible for the 'replacement teacher' to go.

I am starting to commiserate with that ground squirrel. I wonder if he got any relocation expenses.

No comments: