Friday, May 18, 2007

Alexandra and Her Sister

This morning I was gathering supplies from the cupboard when Alexandra tracked me down. She is usually one of the first students to arrive and often she is brimming with news about her family. With great seriousness she will tell me about her brother, who apparently just got out of jail, her mother's injuries, and how her father "points this finger (she demonstrates)" when he's mad at somebody. She is never particularly happy because she has a lot of worries for a six year old. I swear she is getting a furrow in her brow - or maybe it's the florescent lighting.

"Teacher," she said seriously, "my sister had to go to the doctor's."

"Really," I replied distractedly, trying to locate enough paint for an upcoming project. "What's the matter with her?"

I must point out that some member of Alexandra's family is always going to "the doctor's." They must have an open account or at least a standing appointment.

"Her foot got swellen up."

"Well... I certainly hope everything is okay," I said, reaching back into the cupboard for brushes.

"Yeah," said Alex with a shrug, "she's still alive."

No comments: